Friday, July 13, 2012

The Verbing of America

The verbing of America
Is getting out of hand, Yet many nouns are also verbs, Like toast and rake and land.
When I first heard hospitalize, I thought it was a crime; Why don't we apartmentalize?
We will -- just give us time! If when we change a noun to verb
To come up with our `verbing,' Why can't I, when I'm using herbs, Refer to it as herbing?
For if I call myself a cook , The verbal form is cooking;
And if I give someone a look, It's also known as looking.
I give a gift But I'm not gifting.
You get my drift, Or am I drifting?
I get a bill Because of billing, but taking pills Is never pilling. I place a pin, And I am pinning.

Play a violin -- Is it violining? But play a fiddle, And you're fiddling; Or is this getting Much too piddling? Planting some seeds is always seeding, and pulling weeds Is surely weeding;
If drawing blood is always bleeding, Why does a flood not lead to fleeding?

I'm wined and dined but never beered. I've eyed someone, but never eared!
Turn on a light, and I am lighting. Turn on a lamp, and it's not lamping.
If I can verbalize a needle, and egging on aan mean to wheedle, and I am doodling aith a doodle, When I cook pasta, Can't I noodle?
With all these punctuation marks, I'm doing quite a lot of dotting; But if I were to use a dash -- Don't you agree that I am dashing? But comma-ing and period-ing?
And yet I can italicize and sometimes must capitalize. I Anglicize -- but Germanicize? Or Swedicize, or Gaelicize?
With this I could go on and on, Really ad infinitum; Whether I lick these word problems, I sure cannot beat 'em. Our language is an enigma In how its words are used; And that is why, in verbing nouns, We ought to be excused.

No comments:

Post a Comment